Please wait...
HomeForumMembers LoungeGeneral TalkBad Day - Storm - Squirrel - Destruction
Topic Rating:

Jump to
Members LoungeYour StatsSuccess StoriesPayment ProofsMember IntroductionGeneral TalkForo en EspañolCharla GeneralSoporte General y PagosInternationalPortugueseItalianFrenchGermanNederlandsGreekHindiUrduBengaliFilipinoIndonesianMalayArabicRomanianTurkishRussianBulgarianHungarianPolishEx-Yugoslavia
Bad Day - Storm - Squirrel - Destruction

Locked

#1 by valerie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37

It is not a good day here. Last night the storm came in and it was so bad that school was called off
here. The wind was so loud, I was afraid to open the door.

Although it is stil windy here, it has died down. We had something like 100 mile an hour winds.

I had a little iron patio set at one of end of the front porch, the table did not move an inch. The
chairs were turned over and one was stuck inside the other. I finally got those apart but it did leave
some scratches on one of the chairs.

One of the tall trees in my front yard went down so now I have a big mess in the yard.

An iron bench I have in a garden area in the back yard blew over and scratched it in several places.

There's some tree tops scattered about the places.

I looked out a back door onto the patio and Mr KiKi had a big squirrel. I went out with a broom and
he dropped the squirrel. The poor thing was blinking it's eyes, breathing hard but I couldn't see a bad
place on it. I got a dust pan and scooped it up, took it down by a tree, hoping it would go up the tree.
After more inspection, I saw it was injured beyond help. I had to kill it.

Some times I hate cats.

I need to get some new collars but so difficult to find the ones that are NOT breakaway collars. I put
big Christmas bells on the collars. IF I had them on the cats, that squirrel probably would have gotten
away.

To top all that off, I have been looking for Miss Cookie for a month or more now. I have a strong feeling
a Great Horned Owl got her. I even put out a $100 reward for her. No one has come forward. For some
days I was hearing that owl at night, even waking me up as it was mighty loud. I have not heard it since
she disappeared.

I am NOT happy today.
valerie
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
16,267
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given2,996
Likes Received15,536/5,836

#2 by jjohnson777 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15

That storm be here in few hours.
jjohnson777
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
1,518
Member Since31 Mar 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given300
Likes Received753/456
Balance$0.64
Earned$8,569.35
Referrals106
Tasks0
Offers6,122

#3 by Marcel-R6 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:18

No storms here sunny and dry.
Cats are hunters,that is why mine is a house cat. Too bad about the squirell.

I did a search for that owl...holy crap that is a big one.
Marcel-R6
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
3,820
Member Since16 Jan 2014
Last VisitToday
Likes Given1,634
Likes Received3,300/1,690
Tasks11,517
Offers5,949

#4 by valerie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:19

jjohnson777 wrote: That storm be here in few hours.

The wind is bad!
valerie
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
16,267
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given2,996
Likes Received15,536/5,836

#5 by valerie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:27

Marcel-R6 wrote: No storms here sunny and dry.
Cats are hunters,that is why mine is a house cat. Too bad about the squirell.

I did a search for that owl...holy crap that is a big one.

Yes! The Great Horned Owl has an appropriate name.

About ten years ago I was sitting out back when I saw something standing in the flower garden up
on the hill. It looked like a log at first. I grabbed the binoculars and saw that it was moving and
then it turned it's head as to look right at me. I saw what it was and shocked to see it standing on
the ground. I walked towards it and when I got a few yards from it, it flew in a tree. I then proceeded
to shoo it and it was flying from tree to tree. It finally flew out of sight.

It was extremely odd and I would say rather rare, to see one standing on the ground like that. They
normally stay at the edge limbs in trees. When they see food, they will swoop down and grab it and
take it back to their nest.

I know they got to eat like everything else but I don't like them on my property. They are known to
kill cats and even small dogs.
valerie
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
16,267
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given2,996
Likes Received15,536/5,836

#6 by pindokhan123 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:45

wo i didnt know owls were beastly cat nappers :o

the only ones i have seen in my life are little ones about 8/10 inches high and i think they just eat rats and berries,not cats,,by jove that must be one heck of an owl :shock:
pindokhan123
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
1,824
Member Since3 Jul 2015
Last Visit21 May 2017
Likes Given2,025
Likes Received1,454/854

#7 by Sargon43 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:45

May be all will be in order
Sargon43
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
101
Member Since15 Oct 2016
Last Visit21 Dec 2018
Likes Given0
Likes Received58/36
Balance$0.00
Earned$886.94
Referrals0
Tasks70
Offers2,760

#8 by valerie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:22

Yes the Great Horned Owl is a rather terrifying creature.

Owls regurgitate their food. I did not look close to the trees for Miss Cookies for fear I would
see a fur bowl. What I hope is that she got tired of Mr KiKi and run off and found a home
else where.

It's really difficult to guess what happens to a cat when you live in a rural wooded area.

Ref fox's will kill a cat. Hawks will too.

A day or two ago, sitting at my desk, I saw at least 40 wild turkeys going across the yard.

Great Horned Owl info:
Great horned owl - Wikipedia
valerie
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
16,267
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given2,996
Likes Received15,536/5,836

#9 by RoseGold » Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:37

Val, my sympathy goes out to you. :( Wow! what a big mess you have[. We've had a lot of rain and wind, but it's not over yet,, will be off and on rest of the day and into the night . Things are still at the moment, that's why i'm online right now. It'getting dark again, may have to get off pc anytime.
Last edited by RoseGold » Mon Apr 03, 2017 15:40 » edited 2 times in total
RoseGold
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
1,521
Member Since9 Apr 2007
Last Visit23 Jul 2017
Likes Given6,764
Likes Received1,749/842
Referrals0
Tasks112
Offers5,429

#10 by seaeagle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 16:43

valerie wrote: Although it is stil windy here, it has died down. We had something like 100 mile an hour winds.

Sorry to hear about the storm damage - much of the east coast of Australia has just gone through some very wild weather too & the clean-up will take months.

valerie wrote: I need to get some new collars but so difficult to find the ones that are NOT breakaway collars. I put big Christmas bells on the collars. IF I had them on the cats, that squirrel probably would have gotten away.

I don't know if this would have helped the squirrel, but if you want your cats to stop hunting birds in your area, researchers recently discovered that brightly multi-colored collars (like rainbow scrunchies used to tie hair ponytails) were extremely effective (from memory, they cut the songbird death rate by about 90%).

Cats learn to stalk without making bell collars tinkle (easy to do since they naturally walk softly without straightening their legs), but because they cannot see colors well, they have no idea that the bright collar makes them stand out to other animals which can see color (at least, during the day). Apparently, squirrels can see in color, but are red-green color blind, so a rainbow collar might still be helpful.

I'm not sure whether this might make them more noticeable to owls though.

You can do a search for rainbow collar for cats on Google & get lots of results - some even come with a bell too.

Rainbow Collars Could Help Keep Cats From Wiping Out Birds | Smart News | Smithsonian
seaeagle
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
466
Member Since9 Aug 2007
Last Visit23 Sep 2018
Likes Given1,275
Likes Received691/301
Balance$8.79
Earned$1,448.62
Referrals1
Offers2,176

#11 by valerie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 19:13

seaeagle wrote:
valerie wrote: Although it is stil windy here, it has died down. We had something like 100 mile an hour winds.

Sorry to hear about the storm damage - much of the east coast of Australia has just gone through some very wild weather too & the clean-up will take months.

valerie wrote: I need to get some new collars but so difficult to find the ones that are NOT breakaway collars. I put big Christmas bells on the collars. IF I had them on the cats, that squirrel probably would have gotten away.

I don't know if this would have helped the squirrel, but if you want your cats to stop hunting birds in your area, researchers recently discovered that brightly multi-colored collars (like rainbow scrunchies used to tie hair ponytails) were extremely effective (from memory, they cut the songbird death rate by about 90%).

Cats learn to stalk without making bell collars tinkle (easy to do since they naturally walk softly without straightening their legs), but because they cannot see colors well, they have no idea that the bright collar makes them stand out to other animals which can see color (at least, during the day). Apparently, squirrels can see in color, but are red-green color blind, so a rainbow collar might still be helpful.

I'm not sure whether this might make them more noticeable to owls though.

You can do a search for rainbow collar for cats on Google & get lots of results - some even come with a bell too.

Rainbow Collars Could Help Keep Cats From Wiping Out Birds | Smart News | Smithsonian

WOW! Thank you so much!

I never heard of that. I have gazillions of scrunchies and various hair ties. I wouldn't have thought
of that in a million years!

I'm going to try it.
valerie
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
16,267
Member Since27 Feb 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given2,996
Likes Received15,536/5,836

#12 by dutch1898 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 19:20

I hope the bad days are behind you now and better times ahead. :thumbup:
dutch1898
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
1,131
Member Since2 Nov 2007
Last VisitToday
Likes Given886
Likes Received1,482/707
Balance$74.22
Earned$1,673.05
Referrals0
Tasks203
Offers7,725

#13 by erebus1966 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 21:49

Apocalypse squirrel! :?





erebus1966
Posts
Subscribe to this Member's RSS Feed
Topics Only   Topics & Replies
344
Member Since31 Dec 2015
Last Visit6 Jan 2019
Likes Given82
Likes Received196/114
Referrals0
Offers936
Return to 'General Talk' Forum     Return to the forums index
All times displayed are EST - Server Time: Jul 19, 2019 22:50:43 EST